Play Now! IP: play.TheOasisMC.com

Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Oasis Reset!! Date and info
I know a lot of people are upset about the reset. But for some members who have been burnt out (like me), this is actually a good thing. I mostly play minecraft to explore and cave, something that is hard for me to do when I have everything. For months I put so many hours into the server to the point where I really stopped coming on since it really wasn't that fun and neither is taking down a mountain that i had to expand my builds. So now I can change where I live and play for a long time before I may even have a chance of getting burned out.
I can totally agree with everything everyone has said so far, and understand all of the points. Though I'm very sad to see the town that Eman, Murf and I poured our hearts and souls into reset, the sad truth is that it had already died. Really, the server was already on its way out the door, especially with the recent update causing so much lag. I do not believe that the server will die after the reset, but that it will come right back. A restart is exactly what Eden, and all the burnt out players, need to remotivate and revitalize them.
It's a tough call by staff that I dont enny having to make. I'm sure they don't want to do it, but feel it necessary to fix things. I was originally upset about it especially losing my Legend rank but I have calmed down about and decided what a great time to reach out and join up with others and build new, together! There will be plenty of players that say "F this, I'm out" and that is there choice. I understand their frustration but hope they put it aside and join us again.
Im not amused.
I'm going to give my personal opinion on this. I'm well aware it doesn't count for much but everyone else is voicing theirs so why not. Nearly all Minecraft servers eventually reset or make drastic changes at some point especially survival servers. So everyone that hasn't had the joys/sadness of experiencing one before be aware this is common in the world of Minecraft. Servers have to do this for many reasons. Ours is the server is literally falling apart. Some of you have noticed some of the random flukes here and there such as the day the server capacity crashed to 20 with the motd resetting. Other people have noticed the issues with nether farms with mob spawns in the old chunks and sometimes in the new ones not spawning correctly. Recently we had some issues with the ban list which was a very bad day for staff indeed but I won't go into much detail on that. We have new players log into this 1.13 Oasis "or so they think" and they walk out into the desert just to find a bunch of abandon homes from the dawn of Oasis time. After they walk forever and get frustrated because there is no 1.13 to be found anywhere in sight the players leave the server. This is just the tip of the iceburg of some of the problems we are facing. There is many more problems going on currently but not enough time to cover them all. The point of this post is we aren't doing this on a whim. But just like you guys we are sad to for the old stuff being gone. I've played on this server so long my characters no longer counting days but are counting years just like many of the other players here. During that time Punky and myself have built event builds, creative stuff, personal builds, things just cause we wanted to, farms and helped other players make homes. Most likely none of our stuff will be coming back to Oasis Season 2 and if it does I'll be surprised. I love what I built  but I also realize its not real. It's a game it's fun but in 10 years down the road it's likely going to be gone and none of us will care. With this final thought I'm closing this rant. Generally when a server resets the owner is not obligated to pay for a viewing server to run the old world on so you can copy your old builds from. Most owners just take the server down and there your builds stay on the owner's hard drive till the day the computer goes into the trash never to be seen again. Just food for thought while you are writing out your huge lists of old world loot that won't matter in years to come that absolutely must survive the Minecraft apocalypse! Have a great day!

PS: Thank you Geno for the viewing server!
Yes, seems legit....                                                                                                                                                                                                         It does indeed my jovial acquaintance....
(01-12-2019, 02:07 PM)Firewater Wrote: I'm going to give my personal opinion on this. I'm well aware it doesn't count for much but everyone else is voicing theirs so why not. Nearly all Minecraft servers eventually reset or make drastic changes at some point especially survival servers. So everyone that hasn't had the joys/sadness of experiencing one before be aware this is common in the world of Minecraft. Servers have to do this for many reasons. Ours is the server is literally falling apart. Some of you have noticed some of the random flukes here and there such as the day the server capacity crashed to 20 with the motd resetting. Other people have noticed the issues with nether farms with mob spawns in the old chunks and sometimes in the new ones not spawning correctly. Recently we had some issues with the ban list which was a very bad day for staff indeed but I won't go into much detail on that. We have new players log into this 1.13 Oasis "or so they think" and they walk out into the desert just to find a bunch of abandon homes from the dawn of Oasis time.  After walking forever they get frustrated and leave because there is no 1.13 to be found anywhere in sight. This is just the tip of the iceburg of some of the problems we are facing. There is many more problems going on currently but not enough time to cover them all. The point of this post is we aren't doing this on a whim. But just like you guys we are sad to for the old stuff being gone. I've played on this server so long my characters no longer counting days but are counting years just like many of the other players here. During that time Punky and myself have built event builds, creative stuff, personal builds, things just cause we wanted to, farms and helped other players make homes. Most likely none of our stuff will be coming back to Oasis Season 2 and if it does I'll be surprised. I love what I built  but I also realize its not real. It's a game it's fun but in 10 years down the road it's likely going to be gone and none of us will care. With this final thought I'm closing this rant. Generally when a server resets the owner is not obligated to pay for a viewing server to run the old world on so you can copy your old builds from. Most owners just take the server down and there your builds stay on the owner's hard drive till the day the computer goes into the trash never to be seen again. Just food for thought while you are writing out your huge lists of old world loot that won't matter in years to come that absolutely must survive the Minecraft apocalyspe. Have a great day!

PS: Thank you Geno for the viewing server!

Well said and here here.

I know i haven't played contributed 1/1000th as much as many players here, especially the heavy hitters on /baltop such as Slew. But nontheless i'm going to give my quick two cents:

Both Geno and I experienced this firsthand on a previous server. We'd just got to the top, we were GODS among men, I had a chest full of legit diamond blocks and enough quartz to paint the world white. It was pretty soul-destroying seeing the server reset after that, but i took a break (still am on one, though that's mostly due to studies more-so anything else). But the upside is that a reset places everyone on an equal footing. It provides a unique opportunity for what is in my view one of the strongest aspects of minecraft; exploration. 

This is an opportunity for the server to rejuvinate. I won't lie, i didn't want to say anything at the time, but i could feel that the bones of the server were struggling, especially with beacon mining and such. It got pretty infuriating placing a block, or closing a door. Only for the block to disappear and the door to open. Worst off was the mobs that were barely sentient and took a good thirty seconds to notice you're in their face.

I for one welcome the restart, I hope i will be playing a little bit more in the future, but you folks know what i'm like by now! Tongue 

I am also grateful that Geno will be carrying especially big projects over. That's nice of him, but i'd make it a point not to carry over farms, let everyone start off equal again. PERHAPS even have it for the first 48 hours or so NO /random and NO /fly just to make it more egalitarian. But that's just me.

I know my opinion is probably not wanted but i wished to voice it anyway.

Moreover an earlier thread mentioned the concept of a temporary 'resource' world. I have NO idea about how to run an MC server, but is it worth considering in future that for new updates to be translated into a temporary resource server that gets reset every two-three months over the mainworld expanding any further? Like i say i have no idea how these things work, so i could be talking outta my backside (as usual! Tongue ) I'm only considering it as it may extend the durability. But like Geno said, resetting a world on minecraft is unfortunately inevitable. It's better to pull the plug on the world when there are enough interested players that are relatively fresh than to wait until you only have a clique of about five dedicated hardcore players left, who don't mind the craziness of the world and randomness of the server.

For what little it's worth, you've got my support Geno! Here's to a new universe, and thank you for maintaining an old viewing server.
Best regards and have a good weekend all,
Wise.
I was just thinking a week or so ago, how nice it would be if the Overworld was all 1.13 or current, to have all of the perks. It would be good to have a nice seed that had a fair amount of everything. An End that had more cities closer to 0:0 and spawn. I am ok with starting all of my builds over and do them better. I cannot see any server staying the same for ever, it is inevitable that it would need a refresh at some point. Isn't update 1.14 coming out soon? not sure of the differences, but would it make sense to wait for that update?
Loot:
When I first thought about a reset, I thought it would be nice to have a chest full of what a player felt most important, would not be necessary, but nice. After further consideration and pondering, a chest full of stuff would not be necessary, if I can carry over my $$ balance and claim blocks earned. There are some rare items though, like player heads and maybe eggs, that are something of an achievement, that would be nice if we could get back on the new server.

Claim Blocks:
I could not clearly understand the verbiage around claim blocks, but I think we should be able to carry over claim blocks earned, especially if we paid to support the server. Those will be important in keeping the looters away. That is a perk that those who have been here a long time will find of value in the new world.

VIP Levels
Not sure what changes are in store for the levels, but I think more of gap between what the levels offer 1-3.

$$ Balances:
I kind of feel this should go along with claim blocks. I think we should be able to keep balances in the new world, especially if we donated to the server. This will help us who have been here longer have a little leg up. Maybe if there was a server owned store at the start, we could spend some of the $$ on items at the beginning? Just a thought

Markets/Player owned stores
I do have to say, that I spent most of my time and energy on making a nice efficient store, both player owned and in the market. I will really miss not being able to make one and compete with Slew and Cow, but if we move it to Market only, it will be a shift for sure. If the chest number does not cause server lag any longer, can we do away with it and just work withing space limitations? I like both the Mall example we had for ease of getting around, then the individual buildings are cool, because you can be more expressive. The key if for players to get around and find what they need. Someone mentioned a ./warp wall or a place to find easy warps, that is a great idea..

Player Builds
I don't think I am fully in love with any of my builds in particular and am good with us all starting on equal footing. I can build all of my farms again, I can see a lot of time being put there, if I can build a huge store again, I will need to put it somewhere Smile

Ranks:
I am not too concerned about the actual rank status, some of us earned it by donating to the server. Keeping the tag's thought would be nice.

MikeyB73
Question, will our artmap be saved to our accounts in the reset, or will that also be wiped? If not, then I could spend my time painting Big Grin
Kim
(01-13-2019, 12:08 AM)kimgaskhan Wrote: Question, will our artmap be saved to our accounts in the reset, or will that also be wiped? If not, then I could spend my time painting Big Grin
Kim
We think artmaps will be imported.  We're really trying to save those.
In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different -Coco Channel
One mans artmap is another mans 250k+

just saying. I worked harder for my money than people worked on their art.